Operation Fermentation IX Info
You can create your account today through Friday, December 16, 2022 11:59 PM, CST.
Judges and stewards may register now through Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:00 PM, CST.
You will be able to add your entries to the system beginning Thursday, December 1, 2022 12:00 PM, CST through Friday, December 16, 2022 11:59 PM, CST.
$10.00 (USD) per entry. $0.00 for unlimited entries.
BJCP 2015 Styles Accepted
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Select or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1A American Light Lager||1B American Lager||1C Cream Ale|
|1D American Wheat Beer||2A International Pale Lager||2B International Amber Lager|
|2C International Dark Lager||3A Czech Pale Lager||3B Czech Premium Pale Lager|
|3C Czech Amber Lager||3D Czech Dark Lager||4A Munich Helles|
|4B Festbier||4C Helles Bock||5A German Leichtbier|
|5B Kolsch||5C German Exportbier||5D German Pils|
|6A Marzen||6B Rauchbier||6C Dunkels Bock|
|7A Vienna Lager||7B Altbier||7C Kellerbier|
|8A Munich Dunkel||8B Schwarzbier||9A Doppelbock|
|9B Eisbock||9C Baltic Porter||10A Weissbier|
|10B Dunkels Weissbier||10C Weizenbock||11A Ordinary Bitter|
|11B Best Bitter||11C Strong Bitter||12A British Golden Ale|
|12B Australian Sparkling Ale||12C English IPA||13A Dark Mild|
|13B English Brown Ale||13C English Porter||14A Scottish Light|
|14B Scottish Heavy||14C Scottish Export||15A Irish Red Ale|
|15B Irish Stout||15C Irish Extra Stout||16A Sweet Stout|
|16B Oatmeal Stout||16C Tropical Stout||16D Foreign Extra Stout|
|17A British Strong Ale||17A1 Burton Ale||17B Old Ale|
|17C Wee Heavy||17D English Barleywine||18A Blonde Ale|
|18B American Pale Ale||19A American Amber Ale||19B California Common|
|19C American Brown Ale||20A American Porter||20B American Stout|
|20C Imperial Stout||21A American IPA||21B Specialty IPA|
|21B1 Belgian IPA||21B2 Black IPA||21B3 Brown IPA|
|21B4 Red IPA||21B5 Rye IPA||21B6 White IPA|
|21B7 New England IPA||22A Double IPA||22B American Strong Ale|
|22C American Barleywine||22D Wheatwine||23A Berliner Weisse|
|23B Flanders Red Ale||23C Oud Bruin||23D Lambic|
|23E Gueuze||23F Fruit Lambic||24A Witbier|
|24B Belgian Pale Ale||24C Biere de Garde||25A Belgian Blond Ale|
|25B Saison||25C Belgian Golden Strong Ale||26A Trappist Single|
|26B Belgian Dubbel||26C Belgian Tripel||26D Belgian Dark Strong Ale|
|27A Historical Beer||27A1 Gose||27A2 Piwo Grodziskie|
|27A3 Lichtenhainer||27A4 Roggenbier||27A5 Sahti|
|27A6 Kentucky Common||27A7 Pre-Prohibition Lager||27A8 Pre-Prohibition Porter|
|27A9 London Brown Ale||28A Brett Beer||28B Mixed Fermentation Sour Beer|
|28C Wild Specialty Beer||29A Fruit Beer||29B Fruit and Spice Beer|
|29C Specialty Fruit Beer||30A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer||30B Autumn Seasonal Beer|
|30C Winter Seasonal Beer||31A Alternative Grain Beer||31B Alternative Sugar Beer|
|32A Classic Style Smoked Beer||32B Specialty Smoked Beer||33A Wood-Aged Beer|
|33B Specialty Wood-Aged Beer||34A Clone Beer||34B Mixed-Style Beer|
|34C Experimental Beer||M1A Dry Mead||M1B Semi-Sweet Mead|
|M1C Sweet Mead||M2A Cyser||M2B Pyment|
|M2C Berry Mead||M2D Stone Fruit Mead||M2E Melomel|
|M3A Fruit and Spice Mead||M3B Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Mead||M4A Braggot|
|M4B Historical Mead||M4C Experimental Mead||PRX1 Dorada Pampeana|
|PRX2 IPA Argenta||PRX3 Italian Grape Ale||PRX4 Catharina Sour|
|PRX5 New Zealand Pilsner|
Per Entrant Limits
Each entrant is limited to 12 entries.
Each entrant is limited to 1 entry per subcategory.
Pay Entry Fees
After creating your account and adding your entries to the system, you must pay your entry fee(s). Accepted payment methods are:
- Credit/debit card and e-check, via PayPal
Entry Acceptance Rules
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry: 4
Operation Fermentation will be limited to the first 500 paid beer entries. mead entries are limited to 100 and on a separate website.
- There is a limit of one entry per sub-category per brewer, whether as a part of a team or individual.
- i.e. your name cannot be read twice for the same sub-category
- Entrants are limited to 12 entries per brewer for beer, 6 for mead. This site is for Beer entry
- Team entries count against the 12 entries for all brewers listed as team members.
- Each beer and entry for the competition must consist of four (4) bottles or cans.
- Entering 3 bottles/cans will disqualify the entry from being considered for Best of Show, however, the entry will still be considered for category medaling.
- To ensure anonymity of entries, all bottles/cans must meet the standard AHA national competition size requirements.
- Bottles may be any color, but for maximum protection from light, brown is preferred.
- This year 12 or 16 ounce cans will be allowed. No marking allowed at all anywhere on the can
- 333ml Belgian bottles with high pressure capacity will be allowed.
- Bottles must be at least 10 ounces and no more than 14 ounces.
- 187 ml champagne bottles and 8 oz cans are acceptable for meads only.
- Lettering and graphics on bottle caps must be obliterated with a permanent black marker.
- Traditional "long-neck" style bottles are encouraged, while bottles with Grolsch-type swing tops and unusually shaped bottles are not allowed.
- All bottles nd cans must be clean, and provided with a properly completed entry label attached by a rubber band. DO NOT TAPE OR GLUE TO AFFIX THE ENTRY LABELS TO THE BOTTLES.
- Bottles and Cans not meeting these requirements may be disqualified, with no refund for the entry.
- No entries will be returned to the entrant at any point after submission to the competition.
- All BJCP 2015 beer and mead categories will be judged independently per BJCP guidelines.
- There will be no consolidation of categories regardless of category entry count.
- Ciders will not be included in this years OpFerm.
- This competition qualifies for Lone Star Circuit points for 2022.
Commemorative electronic scoresheet fee: $10.00 per entry.
Awards will be given for the Best of show Beer, Best of show Mead, as well as for the entrant with the highest total of accumulated Lone Star Circuit points (heavy medal).
If you are unsure of what to declare, consult the BJCP Style Guidelines (2015 version). You can view/download the guidelines at www.bjcp.org
Entry bottles accepted at our drop-off locations from Friday, December 16, 2022 12:00 AM, CST through Wednesday, January 4, 2023 5:00 PM, CST.
Please pay attention to the notes provided for each drop-off location. There could be earlier deadlines for some drop-off locations listed, particular hours when entries are accepted, certain individuals to leave your entries with, etc. All entrants are responsible for reading the information provided by the organizers for each drop-off location.
3814 N Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77018
Entry bottles accepted at our shipping location from Friday, December 16, 2022 12:00 AM, CST through Wednesday, January 4, 2023 5:00 PM, CST.
Ship entries to:
Farm Boy Brew Shop, c.o. Operation Fermentation
3814 N. Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77018
Packing and Shipping
Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Please do not over pack!
Write clearly: Fragile. This Side Up. on the package. Please only use bubble wrap as your packing material.
Enclose each of your bottle labels in a small zip-top bag before attaching to their respective bottles. This way it makes it possible for the organizer to identify specifically which entry has broken if there is damage during shipment.
Every reasonable effort will be made to contact entrants whose bottles have broken to make arrangements for sending replacement bottles.
Judging Sessions and Dates
Competition judging dates are yet to be determined. Please check back later.
Best of Show
Best of Show will be awarded for best beer, and best mead.
The winner of the following categories will earn the right to brew with the sponsoring breweries/meaderies (Pro-Am):
AWARD CEREMONY DATE IS TBD
The awards ceremony will take place once judging is completed.
Places will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category/table.
The 1st place entry in each category will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round with a single, overall Best of Show beer selected. The same philosophy applies for all Mead categories
Saturday, February 25, 2023 12:00 AM, CST
This competition earns medalling brewers points towards the 2023 Circuit of America.
This competition is the first competition within the Lone Star Circuit.